In the dynamic retail landscape, seamless integration of online and in-store channels is paramount. If you’ve adopted a thriving omnichannel strategy, your retail establishment likely provides customers with both online and in-store purchasing options. But are these channels seamlessly integrated to optimize their combined impact?
The click-and-collect market is projected to reach $703 billion worldwide by 2027. Also known as BOPIS (buy-online-pickup-in-store), this facility allows customers to purchase products online and collect them from physical stores. This convergence of digital and physical retail experiences emphasizes the importance of a well-coordinated omnichannel approach.
How click-and-collect works
Listed below are the touchpoints of the click-and-collect journey. If you want to create streamlined omnichannel customer journeys, you must remove friction from each of these touchpoints.
- Ordering a product online: Customers browse and select products through a retailer’s website or app.
- Selecting the pickup location: Customers choose a convenient physical store or pickup point during the checkout process.
- Product payment: Customers provide payment information to complete the transaction.
- Order confirmation: Once the purchase is confirmed, customers receive an email or text notification with details about the selected product/products and pickup details.
- Store notification: The retailer processes the order, prepares the items, and alerts the selected store or location to have the order ready for pickup.
- Pickup notification: Once the order is prepared, the customer is notified by email or text that their items are ready for pickup and given a unique order or confirmation number.
- In-store pickup: The customer visits the designated pickup location. They present the order number (at curbside or in-store at a designated counter or area). Store staff verifies the customer’s identification and retrieves the pre-packed order. The customer clears outstanding payments, if any.
- Purchase review: The customer confirms that they’ve received the correct items and that they’re in satisfactory condition. Any issues or discrepancies are addressed at this stage.
- Transaction complete: The customer departs with the items they purchased.
Reasons to love click-and-collect
Click-and-collect is a win-win for both customers and retailers. Here’s how:
Wins for customers
Wins for retailers
|Customers avoid the hassle of in-store purchases that may have limited stock and assortments, allowing them to pick their preferred location rather then waiting for deliveries after ordering online.
|For retailers, click-and-collect reduces the strain on in-store resources by streamlining order fulfillment.
|Customers save on shipping costs as it eliminates the need for last-mile-delivery fees.
|Shipping efficiencies lead to overall operational cost savings.
|Click-and-collect allows customers to select a time that suits their schedule, giving a more convenient and personalized shopping experience.
|With the freedom to optimize inventory and allocate resources more efficiently, retailers have much-needed flexibility to deal with varying demand patterns.
|Since customers can inspect the product on pickup, this reduces the likelihood of receiving an incorrect or damaged product. This, in turn, improves customer experience.
|Retailers experience fewer product returns and all the extra costs that come with them.
|Click-and-collect drives customers to stores, allowing them to interact with the products on a personal level.
|From the retailer’s point of view, this helps increase footfall, allowing them to upsell and cross-sell their products, increasing sales and brand loyalty.
|Customers get more reliable and predictable delivery experiences as last-mile complications are out of the picture. This leads to a more positive and consistent shopping experience.
|Without last-mile challenges, retailers can overcome the risk of delays, damaged goods, and customer dissatisfaction that comes with these negative experiences.
New services, same old frustrations
Click-and-collect offers convenience and flexibility to customers by bridging the gap between online shopping and traditional brick-and-mortar retail. However, customers choosing click-and-collect can be easily disappointed whenever the service doesn’t meet expectations.
In principle, the process may seem straightforward, but retailers without agile backend processes and sufficient support can run into inventory, timing, and staffing challenges. This leads to frustration and customer loss.
- 15% of consumers cite poor customer service as the main reason they don’t favor the click-and-collect option.
- 25% of shoppers stated that failure to deliver the product at the collection center when promised was a daunting red flag.
A well-oiled supply chain keeps customers happy
When the pandemic challenged retailers, making it much harder to get their products to customers on time, they got a much-needed masterclass in agile supply chain solutions. Buyers now expect their digital shopping experiences to be fast, convenient, and well-coordinated with in-store visits. Retailers need high-quality solutions to put the process of ordering and receiving products firmly into consumers’ hands – when and how they want them.
Pivotree WMS (warehouse management system allows retailers to optimize their warehouse operations and increase order accuracy to 99%. The complete SaaS (software-as-a-service) based ecosystem easily integrates with existing systems, increasing productivity and reducing operational costs. Pivotree also helps retailers centralize their supply chain through quick and easy integration with leading OMS (order management system) solutions. Tying it all together, Pivotree Control Tower gives companies better visibility over inventory and orders, driving higher accuracy and allowing retailers to fulfill their delivery promises on time, every time.
Learn more about our innovative supply chain solutions. Contact us today at: [email protected].
About Pivotree: Pivotree designs, builds, and manages frictionless commerce experiences for brands and their customers around the world. We provide end-to-end solutions and services in Commerce, Data Management, and Supply Chain for hundreds of brands globally.